Northern Drak Horse Trails
A day in the saddle on this Northern Berg Horse trail will see you traversing mountain ridges, forging crisp streams and galloping along wide open plains; whilst overnighting in the comfort of a mountain lodge at night.
The sure-footed horses have been bred in the area, so whilst the terrain may be technical, you are on experienced footing. This overnight trail is a pioneer adventure suited to both novice and experienced riders.
- Trip Duration1.5 - 2 Ride Days / 1 Night2 - 3 Ride Days/ 2 Nights
- Daily DistancesRide Day 1: 6.5 - 7hr ride timeRide Day 2: 7 - 7.5hr ride timeRide Day 2/3: 3-4hr ride time
- Trail Grading3/ 5 - Fitness. Moderate to good overall fitness and endurance needed, but previous horse-riding experience not essential.3/ 5 - Technicality. The trail covers some technical riding, but you can trust in the sure-footed horses.
- Trail TerrainExciting riding, with steep descents into river valleys and climbs up ridges. The steep terrain is punctuated by wide open plains conducive to galloping for the more experienced riders.
- Accommodation1 Night at a Tented Bush Camp in Northern Drak Valley1 Night in a Log Cabin Lodge
- Logistic SupportA fully-catered trail, sleeping in comfortable lodges with meals and all equipment provided.
- Group SizePossible from 2 persons, maximum 8 persons/group.
- Pricing1.5 Day/ 1 Night Option: R3,900/pp
At a Glance
High mountains, sandstone cliffs and rolling plains provide a scenic backdrop to this Northern Drakensberg multi-day horse trail. Guests wishing to include a cultural element to their ride, can ride through the local village, visiting a Sangoma, and getting a feel for contemporary rural Zulu life.
The sure-footed horses have been bred in the area so whilst the terrain may seem technical, you are on experienced footing.
Each night you will sleep in a comfy mountain lodge, so you get to play cowboy by day... but sleep in a proper bed by night.
- Day 1Arrival Day
Self-drive to Northern Berg (3-3.5hr) from Durban/JHB.
Overnight: own accom booking – we can assist with options.
- Day 2Ride Day 1: 4-6hr ride up to Drak Mountain Lodge.
09h30: Meet at stables, saddle-up, and embark on the trail traversing river valleys, and climbing up the ridge line to Drak Mountain Lodge. Luggage transferred by vehicle.
Overnight: Drak Mountain Lodge (Lunch on the trail. Dinner at Mountain lodge)
- Day 3Ride Day 2: Approx 3.5hr ride back to stables
After a relaxed breakfast, enjoy a sure-footed descent back down the valley, returning by midday on the 1.5 day package or mid-afternoon on the 2 day trip. (Breakfast and optional lunch on the trail)
1 Night at Eco-Camp in the Northern Berg valley (2 Night trail)
1 Night at Mountain Lodge – log cabins nestled under the sandstone cliffs (1 & 2 night trail)
Mountain Lodge CabinsOvernight on the Northern Drak 2 Day/ 1 Night Horse Trail
- Do we need previous riding experience?
No, the horses have been bred in the area so whilst the terrain is fairly technical, you are on experienced footing. However, a good level of endurance and overall physical fitness is required for the 'time in the saddle' - which many people underestimate.
- Is there an age and weight limit for these trails?
Yes. There is a rider weight limit of 100kgs (the horses are a smaller sturdy breed). Children should be 13yrs or older, unless solid riding experience (preferably multi-day), can be proven.
- What is the best time of year for this trail?
In the high berg, one can experience 4 seasons in a day. Autumn (Mar-May) and Spring (mid August - Oct) are some of the best months, but for the most stable weather, winter months (June-July) can be the best – chilly starts but generally warm and dry days with a warm lodge to snuggle down overnight. Afternoon thunderstorms are most common in the hottest months (Nov-Feb).
- Do you run scheduled trips or when can we do these trips?
We do not run scheduled tours, and will try to accommodate your date request provided you are a minimum of 2 persons, and as per lodge and the guide/horse availability.
The overnight trails are not usually available over a weekend (Friday or Saturday night), due to the lodges ‘2-night stay’ policy over weekends. But if the weekend is outside of a popular period (i.e. not a long weekend or school holiday) – we will endeavour to organise it for you.
- What riding equipment do we need?
All tack and helmets will be provided. However we recommend you bring along a small daypack that can carry a water-bladder for easy hydration enroute (In summer months you will need to carry at least 1.5l of water).
- What clothing should we wear?
Closed shoes (boots or tekkies), long and tight fitting pants (jeans or jodphurs) to prevent chaffe, long sleeve cotton or light wicking top, and sunscreen – NB. The dress code at the overnight lodge is practical casual.
at a glance
1.5 Ride Day/ 1 Night: R3900/pp
2 Ride Day/ 1 Night: R4800/pp
2.5 Ride Day/ 2 Nights: R7900/pp
Super Lux Wild Horses Trail 2 days/ 1 Night: R8200/pp
* Min 2 persons required
Whats included in this tour
- 1 or 2 Nights Lodge Accommodation
- All meals
- Horses & all Equipment
- 2 Local Guides for the duration of the trail
- Luggage Transfers from lodge to lodge