The Green and Blue Mountain Trail – Elgin
The Green and Blue Mountain Trails are four and three day hikes along the Groenlandberg and Elgin valley in the Western Cape. Approximately 1hr’s drive from Cape Town. The trail's traverse a tapestry of fynbos, private nature reserves, wine and fruit farms - offering four-star country lodging, fine Cape cuisine and enriched guiding.
Daily hike distances range between 11 - 18 km/day, with every day offering varied terrain and experiences. From picnic lunches to poplar forest explorations, fynbos on the Houwhoek mountains, or a refreshing dip in a stream along the way. A slackpacking trail in this neck of the woods, would not be complete without a few wine tastings along the way. Here Porcupine Hills, Paul Cluver and Beaumont wines come to taste.
- Trip DurationGreen Mountain: 4 Night/ 4 Day TrailBlue Mountain: 3 Night/ 3 Day Trail
- Daily DistancesDay 1: 18km Day 2: 16kmDay 3: 11 km Day 4: 11km
- Trail Grading3/ 5 - Fitness. Moderate to good hiking fitness recommended2/ 5 - Technicality. Mostly good clear trail. Some long’ish ascents. Rocky in parts
- Trail TerrainMountain paths, ravine trails and wine and fruit farm traverses.
- Accommodation4-star equivalent Country House
- Logistic SupportProfessionally guided, fully supported slackpacking trail with exclusive extras & wine tastings
- Group SizeScheduled from a Monday to a Friday, with a min group size of 7 - max 10 persons/ trip
- PricingFrom R12,500/pp/sharing for the 3 day/3 night Blue Mountain trail
The Green Mountain trail (4 days/ 4 nights) scheduled from a Monday to Friday, traverses mostly privately-owned land, with all landowners being members of the Groenlandberg Conservancy: the world’s first biodiversity wine route, and part of the region’s efforts to conserve the environment and promote responsible tourism.
The Blue Mountain Trail, which runs from a Tuesday to a Thursday, is a three day - three night slackpacking trail on the southern side of the Elgin Valley. The trail is 50 km in total, traversing forest, wilderness, fynbos and fruit farms.
As part of the trail’s social responsibility programme, hikers are encouraged to “Walk with an Alien”, a project in which a personalised walking stick is carved from alien vegetation by local communities.
- Green Mountain Day 1Arrival Day: Arrive at Wildekrans Guest House (near Houw Hoek) between 16h00-17h30
Local Wine tasting & dinner
Overnight: Wildekrans (Dinner provided)
- Day 2Hike Day 1: Walking in the Kogelberg Conservancy Core (18.5km / 6 hrs)
Breakfast at Wildekrans. Transfer to Kogelberg Biosphere fringe by tractor or bakkie. Steady walk to the top of Groenlandberg, through the Biosphere Core to Nuweberg. Picnic lunch enjoyed on the mountain. Return transfer to Wildekrans.
Overnight: Wildekrans (breakfast, picnic lunch & dinner)
- Day 3Hike Day 2: Hike through Fynbos and Vines (16km / 5hrs)
Transfer to Nuweberg. Walk through the vineyards and fynbos along the foot of the Groenlandberg. Picnic lunch on Oak Valley Estate. Continue on to Paul Cluver Wine Estate with wine tasting & afternoon tea. Transfer provided back to Wildekrans Country House.
Overnight: Wildekrans Country House (breakfast, picnic lunch & dinner)
- Day 4Hike Day 3: The Houw Hoek Trail (11km / 4- 5hrs)
Breakfast at Wildekrans.
Walk above Houw Hoek, taking in views of the wheat fields of the Overberg and Walker Bay.
Lunch under the trees back at Wildekrans Country House.
Afternoon at leisure, exploring the art and gardens of Wildekrans.
Overnight: Wildekrans Country House (breakfast, lunch & dinner)
- Day 5Hike Day 4: Leopard and Ox Wagon Route (11km / 4- 5hrs)
Pack bags before a light breakfast at Wildekrans. Head towards Bot River through the Biosphere fynbos. Rest stop at Stony Beach and Eagle's rock. Climb up Pincushion ridge and discover Haws ton lookout.
Descend into Bot River and experience Beaumont Wines over lunch.
Transfer back to Wildekrans to collect your vehicle for departure.
4-star equivalent Country House (all rooms are ensuite).
Bedding and towels provided
All meals - Cape flair cuisine
Private Wine Tastings & Picnic spreads
Art & Garden Sculptures by prominent local artists
- Can children join this hike?
Yes, accompanied by an adult and being sufficiently fit for the durations.
- Are we a private group if we not a group of 10 persons?
No. We will 'schedule' the trip and add others to it up to maximum of 10 hikers/ per trip. If you want exclusivity, please try to arrange a group of 10 persons, or you can pay the single supplement fee on the remaining 2-3 places.
- Do you cater for vegans?
Yes, we cater to all diets and have delicious dishes lined up for all walkers.
- Can I bring my dog along?
No, unfortunately not, we walk in protected natural and remote areas where domestic animals are not permitted.
- Which is your closest airport and how far from you?
Cape Town International, 80km.
- Do you recommend a transfer company or should we rent a car?
We recommend Overberg Transfers who will collect and drop you avoiding the hassle of renting your own car.
- Do you walk all year round?
Yes, we do. We tend not to walk in the month of July, unless it is the only time a group can get away.
Green Mountain: 4 Night/ 4 Day Trail: R15 950/pp
Blue Mountain: 3 Night/ 3 Day Trail - R12 500/pp
- 4/3 Nights Accom in a 4 Star Country House
- Specialist Guiding 3-4 hike days
- All meals - from dinner on arrival night to lunch on departure day
- All private wine tastings, teas and snacks
- Conservancy levies and contributions to landowners /charities
- Daily transfers as per itinerary and return to vehicles (start)
- A ‘Walk with an Alien’ Walking Stick